Friday, February 10, 2012

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!

Last month the Elder's Quorum had a ward dinner based around meals made from food storage supplies. Chris and I don't have a solid food storage supply yet, but we have enough food to get us through maybe 3 weeks without going to the store. Maybe. Anyways, everyone who came was supposed to bring something made with at least 1 part food storage. We decided to take Chris's concoction of read beans and rice mixed with sausage. Chris saw these Cajun Sides Red Beans and Rice packages at Wal-Mart one day and thought, "Hey, that looks good. I'd like to try that with sausage". Chris does that a lot, comes up with spontaneous food ideas. Usually they involve really spicy sauces or foods that are down-right gross to me (mac 'n cheese with garlic anyone?). Well, we tried it and we LOVED it! But it only works with this Cajun Sides brand. We tried it with Zatarain's and it did not taste nearly as good.

Anyways, back to the ward dinner. Everyone was asking us how we made this rice, beans, and sausage mix and if they could get the recipe. Some parents said their kids hated rice and beans but they ate this. I SO wished that I had this elaborate recipe to hand out but alas, I didn't. I fessed up that it was a store bought mix and that it was Chris's idea. But don't feel bad for me, feel happy for Chris. He won the prize of "Best Man-Made Dish" at the ward dinner and I couldn't be prouder! See, here's proof:
So the next time Chris wants to experiment with his crazy food ideas, I think I'll be a little more apt to go along with it! I love my little experimentor husband!

2 comments:

Jeremy,Jennie said...

That is AWESOME!!! Love it

David and Natalie Reheis said...

Yum!! That sounds really really good! Way to go Chris!